Lots of people rely on storage units to keep their home or business organised.
But what does it take to create an organised storage space, and what tools do you need to get the job done?
This guide explores the importance of organised storage units for both home and business owners. We also explain how you can design efficient storage unit organisation systems that let you reap the benefits over time.
Not sure where to turn for affordable storage units in your area? We also explain why No Limits Removalists is the best option for packing and storage solutions.
The best way to organise a storage unit — 6 easy steps
Whether you’ve owned a storage unit for many years or haven’t yet moved your first box, this guide can help you learn the best way to pack a storage unit for easy item retrieval.
Thankfully, it’s not hard to get started. Here we go:
- Assessing your storage needs
Before you even pack your first box or rent your first unit, you need to determine how much storage you really need. Leasing a large unit could seem attractive upfront, but doing so could also cost extra per month and encourage you to hoard items. On the other hand, renting a smaller unit could meet your needs for a time, but this will slowly become restrictive as your storage needs grow.
There are three things required to assess your storage needs before organising the unit:
- Consider current and future needs. Is your family or business going to grow in the near future? Do you plan on moving offices within the next 12 months?
- Determine the amount of accessibility you need around your storage unit. You may want to opt for more storage than you think to establish wider rows and more accessible in-unit paths.
- Pick the size and type of storage unit required. Sensitive items may need climate-controlled storage, as well as state-of-the-art security for peace of mind.
- Decluttering and sorting
The most important part of organising your storage space happens well before stacking boxes at your storage unit. By decluttering any unnecessary items and making tough decisions about belongings, you can ultimately reduce the number of items going into storage and pare down on boxes you need to organise.
You may want to start by sorting and categorising belongings to determine how necessary certain items may be. Next, sort each item into one of four piles: keep, donate, sell or discard. If you hesitate on keeping an item even for a moment, it’s probably time to sell, upcycle or donate it to someone else.
- Optimal packing techniques
One of the best ways to organise your storage unit is to pack your stuff like a professional — which means using the techniques of experienced experts to maximise space utilisation.
To do this, you need to:
- Use appropriate packing materials depending on the item.
- Place heavy items in smaller boxes and lighter items in bigger boxes.
- Create proper labelling and inventory management systems for easier access in the future.
- Creating an efficient layout
Knowing the types of items in your storage unit is the first step in the organisation process. The second (and perhaps most important step) is creating a layout plan with information about each section. Not only does this allow you to find belongings at a glance, but it can also help you utilise vertical space more effectively through shelving and stacking techniques.
To start with, try creating designated zones based on item categories. Then, print out labels or hang specific signs around each of the areas in question. You may want to make separate sections for items like glass, tools and kitchen goods.
- Safety and security measures
While not necessarily an organisation tip per se, securing the welfare of your personal belongings is paramount to successful storage. Apart from storing your goods in a secure, monitored unit, you may want to invest in sturdy locks and third-party storage insurance.
Do you own sensitive belongings needing a special touch? Consider climate-controlled storage units for an added level of protection.
- Regular maintenance and upkeep
Great organisation doesn’t happen by accident. If you want to maintain the efficiency of your storage unit, you need to make a habit of regular upkeep and maintenance.
This doesn’t need to be complicated, however. You may want to do periodic inspections and perform basic cleaning routines at least once per month.
- Sweeping out your storage unit to get rid of dirt, dust, grime and spider webs
- Replacing desiccant bags and emptying dehumidifiers to control humidity levels in your storage unit
- Checking for signs of lingering pest activity, including moths, rodents and cockroaches
- Culling through items you no longer need and removing them from your storage unit
Don’t forget to reevaluate your storage needs from time to time and ensure you have enough space to comfortably store items.
No Limits Removalists is the best way to organise your storage unit
Organising your storage unit isn’t just a one-and-done job. It’s an ongoing task you need to perform for optimal efficiency. Regular culling, continuous monitoring and frequent maintenance processes are key to ensuring an organised unit for years to come.
You can automate a great deal of this organisational process by offloading tasks to seasoned providers. If you choose to partner with the experts at No Limits Removalists, you can keep an organised storage unit without lifting more than a finger.
- Complete wrapping, packing and transporting services for items destined for your storage unit
- 24/7 security services at our private facilities with state-of-the-art technology for your peace of mind
- The delivery of requested items from your storage unit to either your property or a secure location
No Limits Removalists isn’t your average moving and storage service — we’re here to make every storage experience your best one yet.
Curious to find out more? You’re welcome to contact us at 1300 609 117 to get a quote for a storage unit.